Line Dance Etiquette
A List of Useful Dance Floor Tips
- Never come onto the dance floor carrying drinks, glasses, or cans
- Never stay on the floor to talk – if the music has started, go off the dance floor to chat
- When dancing near beginners – be mindful and courteous and don’t show off!
- Don’t start a different dance, unless there is plenty of room and you sense it is acceptable
- Remember the floor is for everyone. Try to leave the outside lane clear for couple dancers
- Those dancing around the outside lane have the right of way. Don’t block their progress
- If the floor is crowded, take small steps, enjoy the company, but watch for collisions
- If you should bump into someone, it is customary to apologise whether it is your fault or not
- If possible start another line rather than join one which will block the outside lanes
- Don’t be tempted to stop dancing to teach, especially if there is no room.
- Never walk though a line of dancers to cross the floor – always walk round the floor or wait
- Remember everyone was once a beginner; if you can already dance do try to be helpful to newcomers
- When starting off the dance, go to the front so that others can fall in behind you
- And finally, keep your head up, keep smiling and enjoy yourselves